I’ve given up trying to find excuses for my comfort food binges. There will be no end to them and I accept that fact and take full responsibility; but at least this recipe includes a superfood. I have always enjoyed pomegranates and their juice but I didn’t realize how much potassium they provided. Now that I am verse on the full nutritional benefit, pomegranate juice has become my drink of choice. In fact, I am now ordering it by the caseload and using it to supplement my electrolyte-laden coconut water, pomegranate-coconut is an excellent blend. My husband often jokes about me putting it into everything, so he wasn’t surprised when presented with these delightful wings; my only regret is not having some arils to sprinkle on my plate.
1. Stir together in a medium bowl
16 chicken wing sections (the drum(ette)s and flats from 8 whole wings)
2 tsps desiccated chopped onion
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2. Allow chicken to marinate, refrigerated, for at least four hours. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425°F, spread wings on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes on one side, flip over and bake for another 15 minutes, and again for a total of 45 minutes, until chicken is lightly browned.
3. During last 15 minute segment, in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan on medium heat, combine
2 tsp butter
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp finely chopped candied ginger
1 tsp ginger juice (just press it out of a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cardamom
4. Allow pomegranate mixture to reduce to a fourth of its volume, or just until syrupy over medium heat. Turn off heat and mix in done chicken wings.
5. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with
Chopped scallion (green onion) or some pomegranate arils, if you may